The Complete Guide to Clay Face Masks: Benefits, Ingredients, and How to Use Them For Glowing Skin
The Complete Guide to Clay Face Masks
Looking for a simple, effective, and indulgent home skincare treatment for glowing, radiant skin? Herb and clay face masks tap into the power of natural ingredients to exfoliate, nourish, detoxify, and soften your skin. Not only are these masks gentle and effective, they're also completely customizable and packed with numerous benefits for your skin.
In this guide we’ll tell you everything you need to know about natural herb and clay face masks, how they can help your skin, and how to incorporate them into your skincare routine for healthy, glowing skin and your new favorite self care ritual.
Let’s dive in:
What is a clay face mask?
Clay face masks are used as a weekly facial treatment to deep clean pores, gently slough off dead skin cells, refresh your skin, and create a luxurious self care ritual.
Commonly formulated with natural ingredients, these skincare products utilize a variety of naturally occurring clays chosen for their texture, absorption capabilities, and mineral content that work to improve skin health and appearance.
Some clay face masks are available pre-mixed and ready for application direct from a tube or jar, while others are sold as a dry powder to be mixed on-demand. Because natural clays are notoriously difficult to preserve and keep for long-term storage once mixed with water, most pre-mixed clay masks utilize a preservative in their formulation to prevent the growth of mold or bacteria. Dry powdered masks do not contain a preservative, and are therefore meant to be measured out and mixed at the time of application.
Our unique herb and clay face masks combine the power of nourishing plants with finely milled natural clays to gently cleanse, exfoliate, and deeply nourish your skin through a luxurious at-home facial treatment.
How do clay face masks work?
The natural clays found in most mask formulations are milled to a superfine, powdery texture and chosen for their incredible ability to absorb liquids - both water and oils.
When mixed with water, these natural clays soak up the moisture and swell to several times their dry volume. When applied to your skin wet, the clays in your mask will also work to absorb excess oils and impurities that may be clogging pores.
If your face mask includes herbs and botanicals, these natural ingredients also activate when water gets added into the mix, making beneficial nutrients and antioxidants available to replenish and support your skin.
As the mask dries on your skin, the water between clay molecules evaporates and the clay starts to “shrink” on your face. You may notice a tightening sensation on your skin as it dries. Through this drying process, the clay mask can work to pull those excess oils and impurities from your skin.
As you wash the mask off, the naturally occurring fine silica in the clay works to gently exfoliate and slough off dead cells from the surface of your skin.
What are the benefits of using a clay face mask?
Thanks to their incredible natural ingredients, clay face masks offer numerous benefits to all skin types, from absorbing excess oil to softening and smoothing the skin.
Here are some of the features and benefits of our herb and clay face masks:
- Detoxifies the skin: The natural ingredients in herb and clay face masks help remove impurities from the skin, leaving it feeling clean and refreshed.
- Reduces oiliness: If you have oily or acne-prone skin, an herb and clay face mask can help absorb excess oil, unclog pores, and prevent breakouts.
- Restores the skin: The wild and organic botanicals chosen for our formulas contain essential nutrients and antioxidants to nourish the skin and help support its regenerative functions.
- Hydrates and soothes: Alaskan kelp in the Deep Blue Sea Face Mask contains aloe-like compounds that hydrate and soothe, while chamomile in the Wildflower Mask reduces inflammation and redness; making herb and clay face masks an excellent choice for those with dry or sensitive skin.
- Promotes relaxation: The ritual of carving out time in your busy life to slow down, take care of yourself, and do something indulgent can help you relax, let go of stress, and quiet a frazzled nervous system.
By incorporating an herb and clay face mask into your skincare routine, you can enjoy these benefits and improve the health and appearance of your skin.
Look for a face mask that contains the ingredients that best address your specific skin concerns.
How to use a clay face mask
Some clay face masks are available pre-mixed and ready for application direct from a tube or jar, while others are sold as a dry powder to be mixed on-demand.
For dry mask formulas, simply measure out a teaspoon or two of the mask into a small dish or the palm of your hand, and begin to sprinkle in a few drops of the liquid of your choice mixing as you go, until you reach a medium mud-like consistency.
Learn more about ways to customize the mix of your mask here.
Now you’re ready to begin masking. Here are the steps to follow when using an herb and clay face mask:
- Cleanse your face: Before applying the mask, cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser to remove any makeup, product, or superficial dirt or impurities.
- Apply the mask: Using clean fingers or a brush, apply the mask to your face, avoiding the eye and mouth areas.
- Leave the mask on: Allow the mask to dry for 10-15 minutes, or as directed on the product label.
- Rinse off: Rinse the mask off with warm water and pat your face dry with a soft towel.
- Moisturize: Finish your at-home facial by applying a moisturizer to your face to keep your skin hydrated. We love to use the Wildflower Facial Oil for this final step.
It's important to note that you should only use an herb and clay face mask once per week to avoid over-drying your skin.
Add an herb and clay face mask to your weekly skincare routine and enjoy a relaxing at-home facial.
When to use a clay face mask
Using an herb and clay face mask can be a great addition to your skincare routine. Here are some reasons why and when you might use an herb and clay face mask:
- Before a special event: If you have a big event coming up and want your skin to feel its best, using an herb and clay face mask a few days before can help give you a healthy glow.
- When your skin needs a boost: If you feel like your skin is looking dull or tired, using an herb and clay face mask can help revive it and give it a radiant glow.
- To help prevent breakouts: If you have oily or acne-prone skin, using an herb and clay face mask regularly can help prevent breakouts and keep your skin clear.
- For a relaxing self-care ritual: Taking time to rest, reset, and practice self-care is important for our overall well-being. Carving out 20 minutes for a face mask ritual can be a luxurious way to slow down, check in, and do something kind for yourself.
Remember, while herb and clay face masks offer many benefits, they’re not a replacement for a well-rounded skincare routine. Be sure to cleanse, moisturize, and protect your skin from the sun daily, and try adding in a weekly or monthly face mask treatment in conjunction with other skincare products for the best results.
Add an herb and clay face mask to your skincare routine for a healthy glow and an enjoyable self-care ritual.